In the second half of the game, head referee HE Zhibiao (何志彪) gave 3 red cards to 3 Tianjin players, this caused Tianjin team strongly dissatisfied with the referee, they think the penalties were unfair and resentment grew. Before the extra period, Tianjin team goalkeeper attempted to strike from the game but was pushed back to the game by the head coach. Two minutes into the extra period Tianjin player number 12 scored an own goal. Beijing won the match with the score 3 to 1.
When the final whistle was blown, Tianjin goalkeeper went up to head referee HE and started yelling at him for unfair referring. HE walked away and attempted to leave the field. At this time, Other Tianjin player broke out from the security guards and started chasing the referee attempting to beat him up. The referee tripped and fell while running away, but eventually he got away and Tianjin players were controlled by the security guards.
Tianjin soccer team receives the following punishments for this incident.
- Tianjin team is disqualified from National Men’s Football Group A Cup
- Formal criticism to Tianjin team manager and coach.
- Tianjin team is disqualified from voting of game sportsmanship award.
- Tianjin team is ordered discipline their players, responsible team members must write a self-criticism, and discipline report must be submitted in 24 hours.
- Because Tianjin team’s violations are considered serious, the National Games football project requested Chinese Football Association Disciplinary Committee to further punished responsible staff.