Hermès sweater design ridiculed by Chinese netizens

| September 12th, 2011

clip_image001

Most Chinese young people are familiar with the sweater like this one in the above picture. Back in the days when most people couldn’t afford expensive clothes from the shopping malls or boutiques, mother is the most trustworthy tailor in every family. For that reason, fashion not the major concern of most mothers and a sweater knit by mother looks just like the one in the picture.. However, the sweater in above picture is not just another sweater knit by a Chinese mother, but a new sweater from a prestigious fashion designer Hermès and it’s sold at 34,000 RMB. A mircroblogger user posted an entry with this picture has caused a stir in the mircroblog world…

The original post:

VJ百克力:

This is the new sweater Hermès is going to launch and it’s outrageously expensive. But my mom already knit a sweater with the same design for me when I went to the college. Now my mom is retired from the fashion world but her legend still lives on in the fashion world!

clip_image001[4]

Microblogger comments:

王哲卤煮小米粥:

@小米粥JIE @热情geshen :跟妈说一声,帮我整一个

Tell mom, make me one …

一辈子抽风的老B赵:

我妈单手织的都比这好/

My mom can knit a better sweater with just one hand.

洛桑多吉微博:

我家现在都有好几百件,操!

There’re hundreds of these sweaters in my house.

张歆艺:

尼玛.让麻麻给我织件限量版的.

WTF, let my grandma knit me a limited edition sweater.

Irene__C:

原来俺小学时期就拥有爱马仕。。。

Irene__C: I just realized I already owned a Hermès when I was in primary school.

ashley__:

一般的中国妈妈都会织,爱马仕,可不可以喊我妈妈织来卖给你?

Most Chinese mothers know how to knit a sweater like that. Hermès, do you need I call my mother to sell you the sweater she knit?

湿漉漉黑枝上的花瓣:

告诉别人是爱马仕的就洋了,说是你妈打的就土了。。

If you tell others it’s a Hermès then you are ‘in’, and if you tell people it’s made by your mom then it’s considered ‘out’…

牛牛大王_hf:

大土即洋。。。

The most dated is the most fashionable…..

全球囧事大本营:

爱马仕最新时尚毛衣已上市,售价三万四千元。尼妈的,上中学时就穿过,没想到这么贵。感谢妈妈,好象曾经拥有过两件……现在看来,爱马仕与母亲的差距是:落后20年。

This sweater is on sale already, 34,000 yuan for one. I’ve worn something like that when I went to middle school. I never knew it could be so expensive. Thanks to my mom, I once owned two of this sweater. Now I think the difference between Hermès and my mom is: Hermès is 20 year behind my mom.

@一蚊丁 :

爱马仕这件毛衣出得真好,提醒我们母爱才是真正的奢侈品。

It’s good that Hermès launches this sweater. That reminds us that only mother’s love is a real luxury.

@三冒:

我妈妈也会织,爱马仕的设计师已经没啥灵感了

Even my mum can knit this sweater. Hermès designers are running out of inspiration.

Inspired by the sweater, many microbloggers

方小枪-Mathilda:

一盘咖喱洒再爱马仕包包上~

This looks like a plate of curry spilt all over a Hermès bag.

clip_image002

@时代报clip_image003

#看图说话# 据说是售价4000多的意大利潮包。。比那针织毛衣拉轰呢!!!分明就是咱们的热水袋嘛!同意的举手!

"This ‘fashionable’ Italy bag is sold more than 4,000 yuan, it’s even more ‘fashionable’ than that sweater….It’s actually just look like our hot-water bag. Put up your hand if you agree!!"

clip_image004

杨元慧:

原来中国才是最时尚地,意大利热水带潮包,妈妈牌爱马仕毛衣,n年前中国就已上市!我爱你我的祖国,您引领了时尚的尖端!

"I just realized China is the most fashionable coutnry: we had the Italy hot-water bag, mum’s Hermès sweater many years ago. I love your my homeland, you are leading at the front of fashion. "

clip_image005

Chinese hot-water bag

1. HansDampf says:

@korean_guy

not that i care, but dude, whats wrong with you 😀

2. lwb says:

this korean guy is one major fakkap dude… hands down, y0..

3. Don'tBeChinese! says:

Hermes make durable bags and clothes.
    China makes cheap and fake products.

• Jason says:

would be ironic if someone flips the sweater over and finds “made in china” tags inside

• terror says:

Europeans make the best and most creative products. I would gladly pay $5,000 for a sweater made by Hermes than an ugly, poisonous, fake, defective Chinese sweater for $5.

Asian people are incapable of producing anything good. They lack the intelligence, creativity, and innovation of Europeans.

4. MO says:

While people fight over a stupid sweater the world is falling apart around them.

This is exactly what the leaders want us to do. Keep spending on crap we don’t need so the economy doesn’t tank on their watch.

Well, the day of economic reckoning is near my friends.

5. Chloe says:

爱马仕这件毛衣出得真好,提醒我们母爱才是真正的奢侈品。

6. Wombadan says:

No-ones mentioned the quality of the wool, only the design. To be very sure about it, there will be a chasm of difference between the quality of the wool (it looks like fine cashmere to me) in the Hermes sweater, and the scratchy, probably part synthetic crap China makes clothes from. You get what you pay for, and if Chinese netizens think that the two are the same, just because they look similar, they’re deluding themselves. Same same with fake Hermes bags. The real one is top quality leather. The fakes are plastic. Which is about the same as China’s sense of fashion quality. Proliterean low class cheap as long as it looks like something the Emperor might wear. In France, no one would be seen dead in a fake Hermes. In China, all you can afford is plastic.