The first gay wedding in Shenzhen

| August 21st, 2011

From Southern Metropolis Daily

clip_image002

"I take him for my wedded mate. I will love, honor, comfort, and cherish him from this day forward, forsaking all others, keeping only unto him for as long as we both shall live." There was a special wedding in a hotel of Luohu district, Shenzhen on August 19. There was no bride, but two bridegrooms: the 25-year-old Mark and 23-year-old An An. This is the first gay wedding made public in Shenzhen. They shared the cake, bowed to heaven and earth, exchanged the rings and kissed each other like other couples. They hope that they can get blessings and understanding from the society.

Friends and relatives refused to show up

The hotel posted a red paper at the entrance as the custom does. It wrote congratulations to the wedding of Mr. Mark and Mr. An An. Many passers-by reminded the staff that it shall be Mr. and Miss. The waiter and waitress explained that it was not a typo.

There were only 5 friends and relatives attended the wedding. "They still don’t understand us" Mark said. Before the wedding, he and An sent invitation cards and made phone calls to dozens of friends and relatives. They invited them to be their love witness. But most of them declined with all kinds of reasons. Or they received the replies like "An, you must be crazy. Go and see the mental doctor please." "Mark, you must be kidding. I’ll present next time when you marry a girl." Mark and An booked 5 tables originally. Only 2 were full that day. They didn’t invite their parents, "We dare not to tell them. They will be furious to death if they know it".

Aunt witnessed their love

3 of Mark’s female friends and 1 of An’s male friend (groomsman) came. "I’m gay too. I know it’s hard for them to be together. I come to give my best wishes." the groomsman said. He told the journalist that most of gay people hide their love to avoid discrimination. He admires Mark and An’s courage, that they dare to make the wedding public . Another guest was An’s aunt Yu. She gave two rainbow wrist ribbons to the couple, because rainbow was seen as a symbol as love of the same-sex. Yu burst into tears several times during the wedding and said sorry to her elder brother. "My nephew doesn’t dare to tell their parents. And I don’t dare to tell my brother and sister in law. But I can feel my nephew’s happiness, so I hope that they remain a devoted couple for good and all" she said. An grew up with Yu. Yu is aunt as well as good friend.

When An told his aunt he was gay, Yu couldn’t understand him and blamed him for that. But An went down on his knees at the door of Yu’s room for 3 days to ask blessing from her. Finally, Yu promised to go to their wedding.

"We are gay. Maybe we are not accepted by the society, but we love each other and marry each other. We will accompany each other day and night, will not abandon and leave" in front of Yu, Mark and An spoke out their love oath. They burst into tears and kissed deeply.

They fell in love with each other at the first sight

Mark is from Hebei. Last year he went to work in Qingdao. He met An in a gay bar and fell in love with each other at the first sight. Mark had twice love affairs (with girls) in his middle school. After college, he found himself interested in the handsome boys rather than girls. He was annoyed. "I always have sleepless night. I felt that I am abnormal. I didn’t dare to communicate with other people." Mark recalled. When he was a sophomore, he watched the film Lan yu, which was about two gay men. He began to be sure that he was gay. Then he found there were a lot of gay people in this society. Through gay bars and websites, he met many friends.

An has the same experience. He moved out of college to live with Mark in March last year.

They hope to restrain each other by wedding

"There’s no right and wrong in love. If you like one, love this person in your heart, no matter your partner is male or female…" Mark sang this song to An in the wedding. The tune of it was written by An and the lyric by Mark. This is the sound of their souls and for all the love of homosexuality.

They came to Shenzhen this year after An’s graduation from college. They found this city very modern and open. Mark explained many gay people had an indulge life. It will be easy for them to get HIV. They hope to have marriage, because it can offer a stable and trustworthy feeling. And making the wedding public can restrain each other. "We hope this wedding can let the society highlight the best of us. And I hope to get the lawful marriage certificate." Mark said.

clip_image003

Mark and An cried several times in the wedding. They felt very difficult to get understanding from other people

clip_image005

They kissed deeply.

1. R U FREEL? says:

Disgusting.

How did China come from being an ass backwards society, to an even more perverse, idiotic, still ass backwards society?

You’d figure these savages would’ve improved their logic and progression already.

2. expatrick says:

The only thing more disgusting than 1 Chinamen is 2 Chinamen being gay. Those yellow apes are just perverse by nature I guess.

I hope they catch AIDS from Niggers.

As long as they leave White women alone, I don’t care.

3. 老外 says:

Quite repulsive.

4. Bouh says:

It’s the comments on the article that are disgusting.
    Thank you for showing up, backward and homophobic american puritans.

• 老外 says:

You’re welcome. Just because YOU accepted this, doesn’t mean WE have to.

• R U FREEL? says:

Exactly. Stupid Bouh.

• David says:

老外 and R U FREEL, you don’t deserve the right to free speech. Go back to the rock where you crawled out from under.

Again, shut up. If stories of other people being happy make you upset, I can only imagine what a backwards uncultured twit you are in person. Luckily, you’re on the other end of a web connection, so I never have to encounter your pathetic existence in real life.

• 老外 says:

Ah, a typical homosexual. Dislikes free speech.

You shouldn’t threaten people, you have no idea what some people are capable of.

• manwheart says:

thank you Bouh.

Even if someone doesn’t agree with something there are proper ways to express that. The comments just show the ignorance of those speaking.

5. Flying Dutchgirl says:

Oh my, it’s indeed the comments that are disgusting, so 落后, so backwards. I don’t even know what to say to you homophobes…

My blessings to Mark and An, may they live happily everafter!

6. Eggbabe says:

Congratulations and best wishes!!!!

7. Jason says:

bowed to heaven and earth?

• manwheart says:

bowing to heaven and earth is part of the traditional wedding ceremony in china along with bowing to the parents. Since the parents weren’t there; i guess they skipped that part.

8. Gary says:

They pretty much have to do this; with all the girls that were aborted during the one child policy there is a huge imbalance. If the left over males don’t have boyfriends they’re going to have a hell of a lot of pent up frustration. I think this is going to become a lot more common very soon. Don’t blame these guys; they’re just getting what action they can. Blame their government for forcing them into it.

• expatrick says:

That’s because all the Asian women are getting with strong White men! It’s common knowledge that Asian people HATE girls. But whatever, ship them to the West and we’ll take them as sex slaves!

• korean_guy says:

White chick fuck negro only so you weenee have to import gold digger made in china and we are proud of it

• Jason says:

I was actually making a joke about this years back when I first realised they had a one child policy and gay people are real.

didn’t realised it would really be the case.

9. StraightButNotNarrowMinded says:

i too am disgusted by the homophobic and extremely ignorant comments made by homophobes (fanatical christian americans or otherwise) on this board. more power to the couple for expressing their love for each other in a public ceremony in shenzhen, despite the social prejudice that they endure in china, and despite the sentiments of hate coming from foreign countries including, i am ashamed to say, the bigots here in the united states. not all americans are as hateful and disgusting as those appearing on this comment board, and many christians fully embrace LGBT people and celebrate the love between people in same-sex relationships, rather than interpreting every verse in the old testament in a literal (and mindless) way. homosexuality and transgender people have existed in all human cultures, but the disease of homophobia came from western imperialism and puritanical interpretations of christianity which were imposed on non-western societies during the past 500 years of european colonialism. not all americans, including heterosexual american christians, are as ignorant and bigoted as some of the people on this comment board!

• manwheart says:

good to hear at least one other intelligent fellow on the board. As a christian you might want to read this site. It has a lot of very interesting insites that really helped me understand what the Bible says in a new way. http://www.jeramyt.org/gay.html

• expatrick says:

You are an apologist and a sad excuse for an American. Have some PATRIOTISM. Just be thankful that you have FREEDOM & DEMOCRACY!

We all know China is inherently evil, therefore we need to spread the word and infiltrate more weak minds.

• MarekWu says:

Well, it was not western imperialism that brought homophobia. It was gay people who started to call everyone who disagree with their idea of love. If my parents says that the girl I’m dating is not a very good candidate for a wife , I won’t start to call them ignorants and stuff like that. Everyone has a personal opinion on every subject. The problem is that gays demands tollerance but they are not tollerant to anyone who says something opposite to them. Only people who does something wrong and incorrect, tries to convince public opinion that it is outrages and cruel to not accept something that was already between us in the history. But if we’d go this way we would have to accept pedofiles, rapers, thieves, prostitudes and other “minority” groups that are present in every society. I know, gays are not harming anyone so it is cruel to compare them to thives or pedofiles but those two groups also think they are not doing any hamr to people. I’d say let’s stop makeing those public shows about gays being discriminated. As a christian I can not hate them but I know that they are sinners if they follow their desires, same way if I follow my desires I am a sinner too and I am not trying to convice everyone around that those things I did wrong in my life were actualy good.

Bless you people and al those comments would be nices to read if there were so much agression and rudeness.

• MarekWu says:

Bless you people and all of those comments would be nicer to read if there weren’t so much agression and rudeness.

*sorry for mess up , it very late in here where I live:)

10. Heilongjiang says:

You all realize that because of China’s messed us population, where some cities there are 130 males for every 100 females. This may be the only option for some Chinese men to every get married.

11. Who cares if gay people get married? It won’t affect anyone else’s life at all. It’s not like you’re going to come home from work and see them banging on your couch.

12. Michael says:

Good luck, Mark and An An. You may have a difficult road ahead, but you will walk it together.

13. Cultural Imperialist says:

I am absolutely shocked, disgusted and repulsed. I see this and I want to be sick. This behaviour should be outlawed, and the people who do it should be locked up, or shot, or preferably both.

I am referring of course to the flamebaiting, trolling and general cretinism that dominate the comments threads on ChinaHush.

14. ekulp says:

Good for them! I wish them many years of happiness!

15. Meth says:

prison bitch time, bend over

16. Jason (the commenter) says:

Very heartwarming story, although it is on the sad side.

17. John Wayne says:

I’m happy with their wedding. I am all for it. As long as no niggers are involved, we are just fine and dandy. Niggers are not human.

• 老外 says:

Nothing wrong with black people. Niggers on the other hand — while still human — are scumbags. Nothing wrong with being black… but there’s plenty wrong with being a nigger.

18. Xiang Jiao says:

congratulations!!! ^_^ may all your wishes and dreams be granted by the divine goodness of heaven – just as we all wish straight couples the same!

p/s – thank you for taking a step in trying to change “New China!!!” It will NEVER be “new” if events like this do not occur. 谢谢您!

19. CJ says:

Bless them, and let them live a life of love, happiness, and peace….

20. James says:

Best wishes to the happy couple!!
    To all you homophobes out there – nobody is forcing you to be gay, but then we have come to expect this kind of behavior from people. It is not any different than when interracial marriage was considered unnatural or wrong. There will always be bigots and thankfully their way of thinking will be relegated to the dustbin of history.

21. kaze says:

If you disagree with the gay wedding, just close the web. No need to post negative comment about it.

If you agree with the gay wedding, no need to reply the negative comment with another negative statement about them.

Why it’s so difficult to respect another person?
    Wewwww.. ~_~”