Photo hunt game of Chinese Shanzhai products

| July 31st, 2011

From Baidu:clip_image001

“山寨 Shanzhai”culture is still popular in China. "Shanzhai" literally means "mountain village" or “mountain stronghold” and implies lack of official control. Shanzhai culture began when name-brand knockoffs flooding the market. However as it gains popularity its meaning expands. Shanzhai is not limited to imitation and pirated products but also parody to many mainstream culture and famous people and things look alike, like the model of the Beijing national stadium made out of sticks, Shanzhai spring gala show and so on. It becomes a new spirit and a laughing stock among the Chinese public which adds fun into their daily life but of course this still can’t be the justification for rip-off products.

Whether Shanzhai culture is the grassroots creativity or a violation of intellectual property, it’s popular among the people.

The following is a photo collection of the Shanzhai products and their original products. Compare the knockoffs with the originals, "photo hunt" the differences and get an idea of Shanzhai culture.

clip_image003clip_image005

clip_image006

Original:

Taiwan want-want hot-kid milk (right)

clip_image007

Original:

Taiwan want-want hot-kid milk (left)

Left (original product)

clip_image009

clip_image010

The right bottle is the original product.

clip_image011

clip_image012

clip_image013

clip_image015

"Are they brothers?"

clip_image016

"Super combination of Gucci and Channel?"

The two popular sportswear brand, Adidas and Nike, are popular Shanzhai targets.

clip_image017clip_image019

clip_image020

clip_image022

clip_image024

clip_image026

clip_image028

From real life to the Internet:

The developers of this searching engine are certainly quite proud of their searching engine as they claim to be " the most powerful Shanzhai searching engine ever!" in their home page.

clip_image030

clip_image031

clip_image032

The above row are the original famous celebrities: Andy Lau, Jacky Cheung and Jay Chow.

clip_image033

clip_image034

The guy is not the only thing to fool the consumers, but also the autograph scribbled down on the right corner. The surname which is the same surname as the famous Taiwanese singer Jay Chow is the only legible character in this autograph.

1. Bo Wang says:

Ridiculous.

2. CMF says:

nice selection of funny pictures. +1 for KFC shanzhai haha

3. vic2u says:

Nothing new.

China is just slow to get into plastic world of fakes.

4. Crystal Tao says:

There must be an annual competition of Best Shanzhai with multiple nomination categories.
    I wonder what kind of prize the winner should get…

5. expatrick1 says:

God China never seems to surprise me with their savagery. The world would be much better with niggers being field slaves, and Chinks being house slaves.

We need to keep encouraging Chinese discontentment so then we can weaken the CCP and finally take China Down!

China’s greatest contribution to the world should be self-destruction. All that precious Chinese land should belong to the West – we’ll actually use it for good! Then the left over Chinese people will be used as sex slaves (women) and the men will be used as factory slaves.

• xino says:

@expatrick1
      you should be fucking locked up you fucking racist Nazi!

everyone just to let you know, this fucking prick is a Nazi follower!

• expatrick says:

How can I be a nazi follower when I HATE nazi’s? I totally support ISRAEL and I think MUSLIMS and Chinese are the #1 enemy of the western world.

Why are you bashing me xino? I totally support your view that China is subhuman scum. If anyone hates China the most, it’s YOU & ME.

Are you secretly a 50-center Chinese spin doctor?

• xino says:

no I don’t hate China, I just hate their governments so much who are called the Devils of China.

I’m bashing you because of the racist comments you keep putting down.
          Korean guy bashes China 24/7 but do you see him keep using the degrading word “chinks” like you do?

if you are going to insult or bash someone, you don’t need to use racist remarks, it just shows how small your brain is compared to an average size of a human.

And I highly doubt Muslim & China are no1 enemy of the world.
          No 1 enemy are now UK and US since Al Quaida wanna fucked them up.

and again I don’t hate china, I just hate their Devils of China.

“Chinese government’s new name is now called Devils of China.
          made by me.. make sure you spread it!

let them know who the real devil is.”

• expatrick says:

You sound like a Chinese spindoctor 50-center

• expatrick says:

The CCP is made up of Chinese people, therefore all Chinese people are evil because the CCP is evil!

I’ve been reading Chinasmack, Chinahush, and the news – the more I know about China, the more I’m convinced that China needs to be bombed!

Xino is playing some kind of commie mind game and probably works for the CCP!

I’ve never trusted those savage ch1nks and never will…

• xino says:

yea….good luck with your racism.

At least majority would rather read Korean_Guy’s bulls rather than read your degrading racist comment.

• German_man says:

Everyone, it’s obvious that Korean Guy is being paid or incentivized (per comment) by Chinahush to create controversy and debate on this website. Look at the number of posts he has on this website on almost every article. He’s got over 15 posts on almost every article, almost every day. No one who has a full time day job and/or family can contribute to this discussion like he does.

6. xino says:

very very annoying how these people can be ripping things off, it’s not funny but annoying!

It’s like a question: Can’t they CREATE anything original at all?

why must they keep making knock offs?
    I just don’t understand, it’s not the real product but do they find it comfortable to wear a rip off looking like the original?

7. Meth says:

Copying machine of the world

8. Daniel says:

I LOL at the PIGG.

1. Shanzhai is viral
    This sort of news travels faster than advertisement of novel product where millions of investment into promotion is required. Indeed, the Shanzhai industry saves a lot of money from advertisement, and the result in lower product price or further investment in R&D of more eye catching shanzhai product.

2. Shanzhai lacks initial investments
    In developed world, if you want to start a business, the first thing you do is to write up your plan and go to the bank. However, as cultural difference goes, many small Chinese business, like your local Chinese restaurant, are 100% self-funded. The lack of financial support forces individuals to limit their ambitions to something easy and fast reward.

3. Shanzhai is not easy
    Shanzhai market is easy to enter, but its not easy to stand out. Since the new rules allows 80% similarity replication, people will Shanzhai you if you are good, and there goes your profit. Many successful Shanzhai tries to rebrand themselves as original producer, but it is not going to be easy.

4. Shanzhai and local producer
    Shanzhai also serves as a cover for local original product producer. The idea that Chinese people can’t make original product is getting popular around the world. Regardless the fact that the idea is viral itself, this idea sent message to the world that may leads foreign competitors to underestimate Chinese producers. This in turn buy time for original product producers, because good brand takes time and competitions to develop. Also, with the flood of Shanzhai products, many customers are now willing to pay for a higher price for local original product. Shanzhai creates demands for original product in an unexpected ways. However, Shanzhai also gives original product producer a tougher time, just as they do to internationl firms.

9. katwright says:

Note to the administrator of this website:

Can the comments have a “flag as inappropriate” button next to them?

I know free speech and blah blah, but there is barely one comment in this thread that makes sense without cursing.

Korean_guy needs to get a job.

The Punk T-shirt is so hilarious, I have to get one of those.

• 老外 says:

I prefer to keep korean_guy, because he’s spot on about a lot of things. I don’t share his disdain for the Chinese people… instead, I see their immorality as a result of their flawed political party and justice system. One day, I hope they’ll be free of those shackles.

If you don’t like different opinions… well, you can always become a democrat. I think korean_guy is appropriate for this site, and often wonder why he stopped posting on ChinaSMACK. I guess they censored him. 🙁

Besides, he usually adds a funny twist to everything. Is it bad if I scroll down and hope to see korean_guy in every thread?

10. Lazy Mormon says:

@ Korea guy: I heard the Koreans claim Konfucius was Korean, their culture is more originally chinese then the chinese culture (because of some guy went to exile in Korea in the Zhou dyn), and wanted to get UNESCO to acknowledge the Sprig festival as being of Korean origin. Sounds very “shanzai” to me. PS maybe you think Steve Jobs is Korean too, right?

11. koreans suck says:

If Korean_Guy removed all the foul language his posts would have some merit.

Also removing the racist comments and replacing it with sensible language instead would make his opinions more valid.

Korean companies copy all the time.

12. Mark says:

“In China, the Shanzhai phenomena doesn’t limited to products, but celebrities too.”

NOT JUST CELEBRITIES, THE LIST GOES ON LETS INCLUDE on political and religious side, SHANZHAI PANCHEN LAMAS, SHANZHAI CATHOLIC BISHOPS, and SHANZHAI DEVELOPMENT and SHANZHAI progress, and Shanzhai Nobel peace prize.

13. Skaught says:

That “Darlie” toothpaste brand has always been hilarious. I heard it was originally “Darkie,” totally racist, and they kept the racist-looking logo.

14. juniorboydoe says:

Everyone by now should know in general, China cares nothing about quality or copyrights infringements and would do ANYTHING for a buck if the price is right, you could have thier mother right on the dining room table just don’t tell anyone about it or they’d “lose face.”;-)

15. juniorboydoe says:

Expatrick- Let’s go further back in history and keep the Irish as English slaves so they could rape YOUR women for less then a potatoe. Western dominance my ass! if it wasn’t for jazz music(originated by Blacks) there would be nothing that was exclusively “American” in the known world, so stop finger banging your sister and come to terms with reality instead of your historically inaccurate euphoria!

• american swine says:

lol the internet was conceived in America dumbshit, and do I even need to mention cow boys?