Zhejiang Province bans 37 songs in KTV

| April 21st, 2011

From Netease:

20110420203842905e2

Recently netizens of Wenzhou noticed a yellow sign appeared in the local KTV (karaoke clubs). The sign listed 37 songs that are now banned from playing at these places by the provincial authority. The 37 prohibited songs included popular titles like Su Rui’sqian shou” 牵手 (Hold hands), Richie Ren’s Xiaoxue (snow) and Bobby Chen’s One night in Beijing.

The sign says “Prohibited songs announcement, according to regulation of the Provincial Department of Culture, the following 37 songs are banned from playing, sorry for the inconvenience…” Reporter interviewed Wenzhou culture law enforcement unit, they admitted the news were true but refused to explain the reason of the ban.

Su Rui’sqian shou” 牵手 (Hold hands),

Richie Ren’s Xiaoxue (snow)

Bobby Chen’s One night in Beijing

1. Curren$y says:

This is news to me. People go to Ktvs to sing? I was under the impression that people went there to pick up hookers and beat up women. Chinese society is finally moving forward.

2. James Barnes says:

‘One Night In Beijing’ banned?! There goes my entire repertoire.

@Curren$y: yes, there are lots of normal KTV chains for normal people who just want to have a drink and a sing-song with their friends and colleagues.

Banning fairly innocuous songs appears to be a sign of a society moving backwards.

3. Laoshi says:

This is China for you.

4. aflame says:

So what’s wrong with these songs? Inharmonious lyrics?

5. photo_la says:

One night in Beijing banned! That’s pretty crazy. I hope the Beastie Boys selections are still up 😀

6. jw says:

makes me wonder if there is something like that in English radio stations for Gary Glitter songs?
    be it self censorship from your editor or external from you local mayor, it’s still censorship!!

Come on! Come on..

7. Chloe says:

have you noticed? all these artists are from taiwan….
    and there’s one song “wo ai tai mei” – “I love Taiwanese Girls”
    WTF is wrong with Zhejiang. Jeez.