Sculpture made of Giant Panda poop sells for 300,000 yuan, and 100,000 for an essay

| December 2nd, 2010

(From Sina) The ongoing event “Creativity for a nursing home” happening in Henan province has been transformed into a creativity competition with the theme of Panda. Recently, the Henan Museum of Art has become the holy land of creativity and imagination where countless young people and adults came to “worship”. Other than fighting to read the essay “My dad is a panda” written by a 12 year old girl, which already sold for 100,000 yuan, audiences were also stunned by some other panda arts. A replica sculpture of Venus de Mio in the center of the museum became the hot spot, not because people haven’t seen a statue of Venus de Mio before, it was the special material used: giant panda poop!

Kids from the home of the Giant Pandas – Sichuan Province led by famous sculptor Mr. Zhu Cheng, replicated this world famous sculpture with panda dung.

Audiences from time to time leaned closer to the sculpture to smell the yellow statue of Venus. Some claimed that it smelled really good.

The wonderful work also attracted great interest of collectors, after purchasing a little girl’s essay for 100,000 yuan, world-class collector Uli Sigg also had a strong interest of this Chinese Venus. A later report by Sina said the Swiss collector Uli Sigg who owns the largest collection of contemporary Chinese art purchased for 300,000 yuan.

The art charity event attracted enthusiastic participation of more than 15,000 young people all over the country. The creative materials they have handed over so far generated over 1 million yuan of funds. In Henan, our preliminary estimate of housing cost was 600 yuan per square meter. So far we can at least use the money to build a house over 1000 square meter for the elders.

Should we thank the Pandas, for providing its image free of charge, and its droppings?

“Collector Uli Sigg”

Report about the 100,000 yuan essay from QQ blog:

A 12-year-old female middle school student’s essay was also purchased by the Swiss collector Uli Sigg for 100,000 yuan. The title of the essay was “My dad is a pada”. This two thousand word essay was about how her father acted differently before and after he drinks alcohol, which is black and white, just like the panda. Uli Sigg spent total of 1 million yuan in the exhibition, this essay was the first item he chose.

“The girls parents”

I translated the essay, hope I did not lose t0o much of the 100,000 yuan value in my translation. So I also posted the original text.

My dad is a panda

By Zhang Lintong  (age: 12) One Eight United International School, Zhengzhou

Life has two sides, black and white; society also has black and white two sides, how about my dad? Hehe, he is a Panda, also is black and white.

My dad is a 45-year-old mid-aged good looking man. His whole body exudes a sense of maturity and sprit of a true man. Sometimes he is as attentive as a woman sometimes he is more rugged than men. I just like this kind of dad.

His mood changes often, especially after drinking. Living in this world, who doesn’t have sorrow? Dad always likes to drink when he is down. In the living room, watching my dad’s lonely figure, he only drinks very little each time, but because of low tolerance he always gets drunk. Dad is very cute when he is drunk, his face is like a red apple, sometimes silly laughs, and sometimes sheds tears in silence, who knows his hardships?

Drunken dad loves to talks to me, sometimes yells at me: little dummy, dumb girl, each word shows his love to me. Don’t you think there is no change when my dad gets drunk, there is a huge difference! When he is sober, he is rational and nice, but when his drunk, he has very bad temper, can be described as fierce.

Once, because of me, dad drank, and was very drunk. He also cried. The tears dripping down like they dropped on my heart, is it because of me? I went up to him to comfort him, but he waved his hand and opened his mouth to shout at me, “Leave me!!” not letting me near. I know my dad, he is the backbone of the family, shouldering great responsibility. His does not show his sadness normally, only after drinking. I am going to a very expensive school and the spending at home is very tight, what should my dad do? But I still cannot stand his bad temper, it hurts!! Sometimes, I want to talk back, but I control myself when I think about he is my dad. Thinking about it carefully, so what dad has these little problems, he sacrificed so much for me, how can I only remember his bad but not his good?

In order for me to go to a good school, for better learning, mom started working out of town since when I was little. She only comes back in the holidays and summer vacations. I love my mom, miss my mom, and mom loves me more misses me more. She works outside is for me, I cannot concentrate on missing my mom, I must do well in school, to repay my mother. So then I started to study really hard.

My dad assumed the important task of taking care of me, he never complained, always carefully nurturing me and take care of me in every possible way. How can he work when he takes care of me is well? My dad quit his job, and now only does a little business on the side.

Every time, when I eat the delicious food my dad eats leftover. When I am sick, my dad is so anxious and rushes me to the hospital on his back. When his is sick, he never makes a noise, just quietly does his own things. I go up to him to persuade him to go to the hospital, to get some medicine to get better faster. Dad always says, no, I will be fine! I stopped persuading him but my tears have already streamed down. Dad, I will repay what you have done for me.

During my elementary school, dad has many tasks. I eat lunch at school, so my dad always makes good breakfast and dinner. But what about lunch? Only one dish or one soup… I asked my dad, “dad, what do you eat for lunch? How come there are no leftovers?” Dad always laughs, “Dad eats really well, and dad has a huge appetite.” I wanted to cry when I heard that, daughter knows you don’t eat well!

Just like that, dad takes care of me day and night, gets up 4 or 5 in the morning and sleeps at 1 or 2! Waiting till I got o school, dad is alone at home and feels no warmth of a family. Even so, dad will still do some business on the side to support the family. During break, he calls my mom and writes her letters, tells her we are all safe.

Six years has passed, I am already in the first grade of middle school, in a good school. Fees are also expensive, over twenty thousand a year! Mom and dad grinding their teeth to support me, I promise I will make money to honor you!!

This is my dad, he has some problems, but, everything he does for me already eradicated all those problems for me, I want to say, Dad thank you! You are really a great “panda”!

1. 2B-real says:

Now I can say “Chinese will pay for any ole piece of shit”.

2. Dr. K says:

The Chinese have caught up to the West. Even their art is shit.

3. Alleycat says:

Contemporary art will always attract derogatory comments, like shit attracts flies.

4. lay low moe says:

this is the most expensive shit i ever seen

5. Curren$y says:

I want panda shit on my chest

“I translated the essay, hope I did not lose t0o much of the 100,000 yuan value in my translation.”

Good one Key.

7. Carl says:

Considering panda only digest 20% of the bambo they eat, which is 99% of all that they eat, the sculpture would probably more like plywood than poop.

8. xino says:

the shit statue is incomplete!
    i guess there ran out of panda shit cuz the arms are missing.

need more shit to build shit

9. hei_bai says:

100,000 yuan for that essay? Lol, what am I even reading?

10. SNSTD says:

LOL, what a gook!

Me eyes is too small,me can not see the white guy! LOL

11. Carl says:

@maize for that “Only a Chinese would pay for SHIT!” comment, go read the article before you post anything

12. Mr HK says:

Where have you been lately Korean_Guy? I think people here miss your abuse, especially that VOC!

You should lay it out thick until VOC, crys out “Kimochi”

13. STFU Kimchi says:

WRONG, only a chinese could afford to pay for that shit.

14. Greg says:

Haha.. why are you making fun of yourself Korean_guy?

15. Chinese Guy says:

I hope you weren’t TAP SUM BONG-ing in your own house, now that would be incest, naughty boy!!!

I think you need Chinaman VOC to TAM SUM BONG on you, until you cry out “yamete!!”

16. Mr_HK says:

No, you wrong, the next statue will be a sculpture of your SK leader – Lee, made from Chinese peasant shit! 😀

Hu’s shit is too expensive for you!

17. Mr_HK says:

I bet when you’re in Korea visiting, you tell the Koreans girl, “I’m American, I can’t read Korean properly and I have an accent in my Korean”

Then the girls go, “I love you American accent in your broken Korean” And that’s when you get a hard on and think USA!!!

18. Mr_HK says:

Oh, and another thing Michael Kim (Yes, that’s your name, and don’t try to deny it, because you were stupid enough to give it out on this website) – I hardly know any South Koreans with an english first name.

Great way blending into the Korean community is Korea, MICHAEL!!! :D!

19. Voice of China says:

It’s actually Mike Kimchi…

20. Mr HK says:

OK Michael Kim!

Perhaps we need to look up on the Michael Kim’s on facebook, and in the US to track you down now…

21. Mr HK says:

No comment on this post:
    ” Your ass ain’t Korean, because you live in the US and hold a US passport, so stop trying to pretend to be Korean!

TAP SUM BONG!!! ”

HAHAHA, cos you know I’m right MICHAEL KIM!!!!

TAP SUM MORE BONGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Mr_HK says:

You funny Korean_Guy (though I suspect you’re not Korean at all, if American Korean!!)

Anyway, keep commenting, you make this site more entertaining! In fact you should get paid for what you’re doing!

23. Carl says:

and u, need to learn economics. no buyers, no producers. look who bought it.

24. Mr HK says:

You shouldn’t be called Korean_Guy, you should be called “The Jester of Chinahush, or simply, the “Chinese’s Jester.” 😀

Now TAP SUM BONG!!!

25. Voice of China says:

Well being called “Korean_guy” in itself is derogatory since you South Koreans are of even lower status than dogs.

Being called anything other than Korean is a step up. Have fun trolling Mike Kimchi.

26. STFU Kimchi says:

yup, since the koreans are too stupid to figure it out. gotta leave it to the smart chinese 😉