Guangzhou cancels free rides, giving out transport subsidies instead

| November 8th, 2010

20101108-gz-subway-02

(Netease) Guangzhou City Government announced on November 6, 2010: Starting from November 8, Monday, the subway, bus and ferry which were made free in the beginning of the month for the Asian Games are going to resume to paid system. Instead, transportation subsidy will be given. The detailed measures are as follows:

1. Starting from the 8th, the Guangzhou City public transportation metro, bus (including ferry) and the subway Guangfo line resume to the paid system.

2. The ten districts in Guangzhou, two county-level cities residence and families lived in Guangzhou for more than six month will receive subsidy of 150 yuan per household, a group residence will receive subsidy of 50 yuan per person.

3. During the Asian Games and Asian Paralympics, staff members, volunteers and ticket holders can still ride the public transportation for free.

The primarily reason to resume the paid system was because during the first week of free public transportation, Guangzhou’s traffic load became too large, far exceeded the transport capacity. During the 5 days of free rides, dada show subway traffic rose 100%. The average daily passenger flow was 7.73 million. Worried about public’s travel safety, Guangzhou Municipal Government decided to cancel the free rides.

20101108-gz-subway-01

20101108-gz-subway-02

November 1, the crowded Gangding Guangzhou Metro station. On that day, Guangzhou started the free 30 day public transportation during the Guangzhou Asian Games.

20101108-gz-subway-03

“Dear passengers, due to exceeding number of passengers, we need to implement crowed control.  Please listen to station staff members, ride the subway in order.  If you are in a rush please change to use other means of transportation. Thank  you for your patience and cooperation.”

20101108-gz-subway-04

20101108-gz-subway-05

“Dear passengers: due to exceeding number of passengers, we re now implementing peak hour passenger control, please listen to station staff members. Be patient, enter station in groups. Thank you for your cooperation.”

20101108-gz-subway-06

Both side of the subway track are crowed with people waiting for the train.

20101108-gz-subway-07

“Ticket machine is temporary out of service during free subway period”

20101108-gz-subway-08

20101108-gz-subway-09

November 1, a BRT staff held the sign to guide the passengers

20101108-gz-subway-10

November 1, Guangzhou BRT bus Gangding station, an eye-catching sign reminded people “Free ride today”

1. Alleycat says:

The need to implement crowd control for public safety is sometimes obvious. Free transport can have disastrous consequences, and will ultimately lead to trampling of the weakest by those who have no sense of courtesy. Some will do anything to get a free ride.

• Voice of China says:

You seem to be unable to construct even the simplest sentences.. -.-

Let me correct you:

Lack of crowd control may affect public safety. This may cause those without concern of others to trample over elderly and younger children.

It has nothing to do offering a free ride itself but the effects of the free ride which is causal to the free ride. Otherwise you’re implying that ‘The effect of having free ride is to cause people to trample over each other.’ That isn’t necessarily true if there is proper crowd control, or if there is no crowd.

I just find it weird how you keep coming up with weird ways of saying things that mean nothing. Now I know why you do it, it’s unintentional.

• Neddy says:

Who are you trying to impress? You are on ChinaHush, nitwit!

• Voice of China says:

I’m not… I just find entertaining to humiliate idiots online.

• Dem says:

keep it up! you are amazing entertainment for us others.

• Mikecheck says:

VOC,

“I’m not… I just find entertaining to humiliate idiots online.”

Corrected: I’m not trying to impress anyone. I just find it entertaining to humiliate idiots online.

You are harder to understand than an old whore getting throat-fucked through her stoma.

• Voice of China says:

Read in context of the last sentence and it makes perfect sense you illiterate fuck.

• Mikecheck says:

You took how many words to mock someone’s English and then you had an obvious mistake in your butchered sentence, seriously?

• Voice of China says:

What are you talking about? The sentence is absolutely fine in the context its used.

Eg.

Q: How are you?
                  A: Good

– should I say hi, in response to your last question, I am feeling good?

Are you retarded?

• Mikecheck says:

If you can’t see your mistake, even after some coaching, it proves how bad your English really is. It had nothing to do with context. That was just to throw you off.

2. Alleycat says:

I’ve said it before, and I will say it again: I don’t think some commenters are worth the effort of paying any attention to. So I won’t even bother to read whatever they have to say. If they want to keep harrassing others because their self-inflated ego’s urge them to do so, let them carry on making a fool of themselves by extending their worthless opinions or abhorrent statements. Apparently they have no other way to express themselves; I don’t really mind. It just makes this place a less interesting place to hang around, and that is exactly what they are aiming for: their fale and wicked intentions are clear enough. Still it’s not my responsibility. Any fool can criticize, condemn and ridicule and most fools do. Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex; hence it takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. Yet I don’t have to step in a turd in order to recognize what it is: usually I can smell the excrements of a bigot from a distance. Let others take care of their disposal; I have better thing to do and would rather keep my hands clean for more important matters. So have fun kids. Daddy is going to play with mummy now. No, you cannot come along and watch what we’re doing. Some games are for adults only.

• Voice of China says:

LOL, I love the hypocrisy there.

Mr… I’m not going to pay attention to you, but I’ve just read what you said and I’ll write a page of why I don’t like you anyway.

Let me tell you Randy, I come to this site for cheap laughs and not to be nice. Try and keep up and don’t get too mad.

Two of the last two posts of yours have been about fools, I sense this is some sort of self reflection thing you got going there. As with your little attempt at an insult. Although based on that facebook link you have there, I’d cringe to think what kind of girl you could bed.

• Lay Low Moe says:

Voice of China
        you should really rename yourself to “Dumbass Basher”
        just make sure don’t kill off all the dumbass
        or else this site would be too boring

• Voice of China says:

Typo last sentence, what I meant was that based on your facebook link, I cringe at what kind of girl you would get.

3. Lay Low Moe says:

i love dumbass commenters
    if it wasn’t for them
    i wouldn’t visit this site

4. georgeson says:

Key, I’d like to recommend a very hot song “In the Spring” (春天里) in October 2010. The original singer of the song is Wang Feng (汪峰). But the two singers in this video are common migrant workers in Beijing. Actually, most people think these two guys’ version are better than Wang Feng’s. There are more than 7 pages of comments on its YouTube webpage.

5. Justin says:

Yeah when I read that Guangzhou was planning to offer free rides, it was easy to predict that such a disaster would happen. Of course this would only happen in China where there are lots of people who ride mass transit. In my city back home they tried to offer free transit on a permanent basis and all it did was make the buses into apartments on wheels for the homeless.

6. “One must always be careful of books,” said Tessa, “and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
    ― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel