Crab vending machines in subway station

| October 26th, 2010

(MOP) The UAE has vending machines for gold bars, Paris sells CK cologne with them, but what is on offer in the vending machines in Nanjing? The answer is… Hairy Crab! At Xinjiekou station on Metro Line 1, near where you come out at Dayuanpan, you can see a machine.

20101026-crab-08

From IFeng:

According to a report from Xinhua made on  December 25, this is another year of yellow  chrysanthemums and and fat crabs, and at Xinjiekou station on Nanjing’s metro, a machine selling the latter has appeared. From the first of October until now, local sentiment has gone from novelty, to suspicion, to the beginnings of acceptance, to welcome; the amount sold has gone from one a day to around two hundred.

This reporter saw that the machine at Xinjiekou station contained five rows of crabs, with different sizes being sold for 10RMB, 15RMB, 25RMB, and 50RMB. At the bottom of the machine there were even bottles of crab vinegar, being sold for 5RMB each. A lot of people couldn’t help stopping for a look, some even whipping out their cameras and taking photos. Nanjinger Cai Qun fed 200RMB into the machine, pressed the number corresponding to the crabs she wanted, and bought eight of the 25RMB size. She said: "Two days ago, I was passing by, and saw that they were cheaper than the markets. I was curious so I got two. They tasted alright, so I’m back today for more."

20101026-crab-01

20101026-crab-02

20101026-crab-03

20101026-crab-04

20101026-crab-05

20101026-crab-06

20101026-crab-07

20101026-crab-08

1. moody says:

Simply Insane

• NotMoody says:

Simply Insane for people who have been living in their mother’s basement for most of their livess. Welcome to the city.

• NotNotMoody says:

Jesus Christ, NotMoody you are a fucking badass. I’m not the original poster, and I live in a large city in East Asia, but I just had to tell you what a badass you are.

2. Huzhang says:

Kinda like Japan… one day we’ll be buying everything from vending machines.

This being China and all I wondered if the craps were still “alive” inside. After inspection of the machine I doubt it. I see further business opportunities here.

4. Cibai says:

This story is old. Been in engadget for the past few days.

”The delicacy (if anything with “hairy” in its name could be a delicacy) is kept at 5° Celsius, where it hibernates until it is sold for ¥120-600 (between $1.40 and $7.30), which is apparently a thirty percent markdown from retail… if your crab is dispensed in a “dead” condition, you get three as compensation. Sounds more than fair to us!”

5. Michael says:

The crabs are alive. They go into hibernation when chilled

6. Jay K says:

Crab people, Crab people!

7. Voice of China says:

What if someone pulls out the cord next to the machine?

8. Jesslyn Lee says:

I like crabs .:)

9. Lay Low Moe says:

so what happen if someone unplugs the machine???

What the fuck China. Why the hell are you blocking IMDB now?? Fucking bullshit.

• 2B-real says:

They have been blocvking that sight for over 2 years now. Where have you been?

• GuoBao says:

what? I’ve used it 3-4 times a week ever since I arrived in China. Only the last three days it’s been blocked. I’ve heard something about different blocks from province to province, maybe that’s what’s kept you from it.

11. Curren$y says:

I will go to china and free all these crabs. Collecting donations now. Coins preferred

12. hoklodude says:

Seafood on the go…

13. What if I want to keep a crab as a pet and not for food… lol

14. Justin says:

In Japan you can buy the soiled panties of AV stars, so buying crabs isn’t that unbelievable.

In fact, if you buy the Japanese panties, you’re likely to get crabs for free. bonus.

15. OK seriously, what is the big deal here?

16. Voice of China says:

Han gook simida haha :P

17. Voice of Europe says:

Chinese have killed all the sharks (because of their shark-fin-soup-will-give-me-a-bigger-penis bullcrap), I guess now they are after crabs – in 2-3 years all crabs will be eradicated. Keeping live crabs in a vending machine is cruelty as well, I think Chinese don’t have that word in their dictionary though.

18. Fresh Healthy Vending – Locations, food franchise business, you will receive the help you need with advertising and promotion, invest in Fresh Vending franchises. After all, this brand is becoming more and more popular around the world.Fresh Healthy Vending program was developed to support businesses owners, employees, colleagues, friends and consumers in your community in making improved dietary choices.