A Chinese Netizen’s open letter to U. S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

| January 26th, 2010

Jan, 21, 2010: Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton gives a speech on Internet freedom at the Newseum in Washington, DC.

(If you cannot see YouTube videos in China, try use VPN software : Freedur,  and use coupon code CHINAHUSH to get 10% off. )

How did Chinese government respond to this speech?

From Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China:

Q: In her speech on internet freedom on January 21, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton commented on China’s internet policy, accusing China of restricting internet freedom. How do you comment?

A: The US attacks China’s internet policy, indicating that China has been restricting internet freedom. We resolutely oppose such remarks and practices that contravene facts and undermine China-US relations.

China’s internet is open. China is a country with the most vibrant internet development. By the end of last year, China had 384 million internet users, 3.68 million websites and 180 million blogs. China’s Constitution guarantees people’s freedom of speech. It is China’s consistent policy to promote the development of internet. China has its own national conditions and cultural traditions. It supervises internet according to law, which is in parallel with the international practice.

Hacking in whatever form and offence of others’ privacy is prohibited by law in China. As a major victim of hacking in the world, China believes that the international community should intensify the cooperation in jointly combating internet hacking so as to safeguard internet security and protect the privacy of citizens in accordance with law.

We urge the US to respect facts and stop attacking China under the excuse of the so-called freedom of internet. We hope that the US side can work with China to earnestly implement the consensus between leaders of both countries on developing bilateral relationship in the new era by strengthening dialogue, exchanges and cooperation, respecting each other’s core interest and major concerns and properly handling differences and sensitive issues so as to ensure the healthy and stable development of China-US relationship.

***

This statement was reposted in many major Chinese websites, and then the Chinese media echoed.  Here are some articles, I do not have the time to translate them:

人民网:美国倡导信息自由背后有政治企图
People’s Daily: The United States advocated the freedom of information behind their political motive

邓炘炘:谷歌应当反思,向中国道歉
Deng Xin-xin: Google should reflect, to apologize to China!

新华网:美国扮演"救世主"的目的
Xinhua: The purpose of United States playing a "savior"

环球网:谷歌精心策划退出事件
Global Net: Google carefully planned the withdraw incident

国家互联网应急中心:中国是黑客攻击最大受害国
National Internet Emergency Center: China is the biggest victim of hacking

人民时评:美国互联网外交是虚伪的实用主义
People’s Commentary: The United States Internet diplomat is hypocritical and pragmatism

***

And today this caught my eye as well as many Chinese bloggers attentions.

From People.com.cn

A Netizen’s open letter to U. S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

U.S. Secretary of State, Ms. Hillary Clinton:

Hello! I am a Chinese netizens, when I saw you criticizing the Chinese government constructing and managing the internet, falsely accusing the Chinese government restricting the Internet’s “free flow of information”, so called “open and free network”, “do not restrict the use and access of the internet”, I felt baffled.

First of all, Chinese government does not restrict internet users to use and access the Internet. I am a commentary writer; I spend most of my free time on the internet, looking for news, looking for different angles, writing reviews, expressing my views and opinions, and sometimes giving my personal comments and suggestions to the Government. So far, I have published thousands of articles, millions of words on uncountable websites like People’s daily, Xinhua and China Net etc. The government never give me any warnings and notices to tell me not go get on the internet or not to express my personal views.

Secondly, I do not find information on the network unable to flow freely. 9 Am this morning, I turned on my computer, and went on People’s Daily, Xinhua, China News, Sina, Sohu, Netease, IFeng and other major websites. I can open and view information about politics, economic, military, sports, entertainment and current affairs. I sent an email to my friend “Yixiao”and Netizen “Yixiao” got my email quickly. I also chat with my friends on QQ group and never was affected by anything or noticed any information not able to flow.

Again, I hope the government strengthens the security management of the Internet. Although the Internet is a free world, it is like the real world, is not going to work without rules and regulations, absolute freedom is ultimately lack of freedom, even makes people scared and afraid. The network without laws and regulations we all do not dare to go on, afraid of personal information being leaked out, even being sold. To me, what gives me the most headache is my commentary articles often being reposted, and I am not being paid for repost fees, I felt that my copyrights had been violated, but I was helpless. Therefore, I hope the Government can strengthen the network management, improve network security, to protect internet users’ personal information and privacy, to protect my copyright and other legal rights.

Finally, Ms. Clinton, I believe that you do not wish your personal information to be sold online; do not wish personal information being spied on and leaked out, do not wish U. S. companies to trade secrets being stolen, even more so do not wish the U. S. government leak out confidential information. I believe the United State is also strengthening the supervision and management of these areas.

Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire; do not unto others as you would not have them do unto you. Why do you accuse the Chinese government managing China’s Internet according to the law? Have you ever considered The Chinese internet users hope the Chinese government can provide a more secure and reliable network? You, the police of Pacific, aren’t you trying to interfere too much? Please put away your stuff, Ms. Hillary Clinton.

- A Chinese netizens: Wang Jie (王捷)
January 23, 2010 AM

***

This post had 84 comments on People.com.cn and all of them are praising the article. saying things like “support!”, “Get out Google”, “U.S. is a paper tiger” and so on.

Then I found this blog reposted the same letter, it all 51 comments either are laughing or called author a 50 cent party.  One netizen said,

“At first I thought the author was being sarcastic then later i realized he is a 50 cent party.”

Irony, irony, aren’t you tired of reading sarcasm everyday? Now everyone is getting so use to it.  Curse is always straight forward, praising is being sarcastic. Now even the letter written by a 50 cent party I interpreted it as sarcasm.

Then of course some reposted this on Tianya. The poster said:

Did not want to post, but I saw this news really made me angry, When the authors talks about the internet situation here why do I feel like I am dreaming?

1. Doug says:

I stopped reading at “First of all, Chinese government does not restrict internet users to use and access the Internet.”

I mean, once somebody says white is black, you shouldn’t continue wasting your time.

• jay says:

CHina’s not the only country that attempts to rearrange colors, they just suck ass at it and have no motivation to get highly skilled in the arts of deception.

In this department, China is like a neaderthal waving a club around in the modern battlefield of lies and deceit.

• waiguoguizi says:

Agree. Also stopped at exactly that line.
      The only thing to add, there there are conservative forces in some western countries, who try to restrict the internet as well.

• Nicodemus says:

I’ve heard that in Germany, websites denying the existence of the holocaust don’t show up in google searches because they’re illegal.

This response just sounds like the Chinese way of saying, “Hey guys we’re trying to get out act together and frankly your lack of patience isn’t helping, prick.”

For my money, there’s more to the text then just the literal meaning of the words. There’s people behind them, who are trying to move the country they love, that is their home, in the right direction. Looking bad in public has been a pathological fear for the Chinese people for a damn long time. They always do stuff like this to save face. It’s part of their culture, and knowing culture is the first step toward understanding someone else (or possibly hating them even more).

But that said, China filters internet like nobody’s business, and if the baffled writer guy had a clue, (or was real) he’d know he couldn’t get to Youtube or Facebook, where anyone can say anything at all to a lot of people.

In my mind, everybody know’s China’s running the propaganda machine hot and heavy. If anyone doesn’t, China’s running the propaganda machine hot and heavy. But that’s not really the point. The point is that everyone (at least I do) wants the world to be a great place, where nobody’s starving to death and everyone has jobs who wants them. If letting China keep face and look good in public makes it go in that direction, then why not skip on calling them losers from time to time?

What’s better, being right or getting what you want?

2. stfu says:

SHUT THE FUCK UP!

3. Fred says:

I’ve just checked the post and comments in Tianya forum,to tell you the truth,Wang Jie,whom first gave this article in people.com is nothing more but a complimenter.Just imagine,if our internet policy indicating freedom,why cann’t we access youtube freely?If we really free to give our speeches and view variety of different viewpoints,show me your link or report of translation of VOA news? I consider Wang Jie’s article really a paradox and ridiculous!!

4. LazyCat says:

In a similar fashion there is a ‘public debate’ at present on the site of “People’s Daily” concerning the ‘free flow of internet information’. Apparently there are not that many people who are intrested to express their opinion on the subject, although there does appear to be a huge majority that supports the chinese policy. So far the opposition seems to remain very minor and awkwardly silent. I wonder why.

• Lop says:

People’s Daily? Oh yeah,, that’s that paper a couple of people read some decades ago right? It’s not even on sale in my local newsstand anymore (although they are requiered to have it). The owner says nobody buys it in my area. Nice guy though,, orders the US National Geographic for me every month :)

5. Lop says:

Same here Doug. I got a little further though but well,, it’s a joke when people write like but good that the netizens find it equally laughable.

At least this moron could try to find some debatable and defendable goals of Chinese net policies. I would find it slightly less pathetic if he had tried to explain why China “needs” to censor certain information and sites. To outright claim that China’s internet is “free and unrestricted” is just a blatant lie which everybody can see through. If he is really trying to defend China’s policy he shouldn’t do so in a way that I think even CCP leaders would find condescending and untruthful.

6. rotto says:

fucking ridiculous AHAHAHAHAH
    so no, facebook is freedom, no youtube is freedom, no -netBlog is freedom! try to open a website! I have allready tryed 2 times! after 2 days I can not open anymore the website by browser or software , only the rest of the world can open it! only after 3 weeks I’m able to open again and modify!! one of this web have in the name “community” so this is freedom ….. they have to check before you can doing anything! yes you are very free my friend! free to see online what they want to let you see…….
    you are really fucking armonious my friend (^_^)

7. Wang Er says:

I’m actually believing in his story and the Internet is free to him because …

He only visits websites inside GFW and his opinion is identical to the governments’. That’s why none of his favorite sites is censored and not a single comment of his was moderated. Even if GFW didn’t exist, he wouldn’t visit the websites that are currently blocked like Youtube.

However, the problem for most of rest people are,
    1) we don’t only visit sites inside GFW and we sometimes have different opinions from governments’.
    2) The comment area under the people.com.cn’s post is heavily moderated thus different opinions cannot balance the OP’s. So what’s the point having that comment area at all? It’s the same problem for a website that only allows people to have a uniform opinion and when someone disagrees, others call him a 50 cent party and start to make the discussion too personal. Both disgust me to the same degree.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying all articles on People.com.cn are garbage. Actually I read a lot news from there. And I’m not thinking Hillary Clinton’s speech is fully justified, though I gave more points to her than to the poster on People.com.cn.

8. LiZhou says:

“A Chinese Netizen: Wang Jie” :

This person is walking the Party line. Ofcourse none of his favorite Websites are not blocked because he goes the websites that are Mostly in agreement with the Chinese Government. Why doesn’t he say he visits Radio Free Asia? or sites like that?

His article REEKS with Pathetic Attempt to Proove something that can’t be proven because it is NOT True.

9. Jocelyn Zhe says:

The Chinese government wrote this letter, and it’s very well written as expected.

10. Beholder says:

http://www.imdb.com (ffs!)

At least the Red Lobster site isn’t blocked any more. That’s a step towards an open Internet, right?

11. Chris says:

Hey, no, look, Wang Jie can access Chinese sites… that means the internet is free and open. Right?

12. Al Jensen says:

I don’t think it’s good for the US to tell people what to do, at the same time I can’t understand why certain websites are blocked.

In the US they just repealed a campaign finance reform law, so that now corporations (both foreign and domestic) are able to donate as much money as they want to a campaign.

The secret is not to hide the news, but rather to manufacture your own.

13. Lucas says:

I suppose those who commented that article on people.com.cn are workers of that station or of the government. Anyone with his right mind knows what the REAL situation is like in China…

14. madbeef says:

不用问,反对系列文章都是“网评员”写的

15. apensi says:

“do not unto others as you would not have them do unto you”

16. Alex says:

“China’s internet is open.” HAHAHA

17. Me says:

“I hope the government strengthens the security management of the Internet”.

Only a fcuking moron can say such a thing.

18. Penny Salma says:

Thanks for sharing, I just wanted to let you know that your blog doesnt show up perfectly on the blackberry browser but I am probably still in a minority of users.