Hot Chinese Animated Film “See Through”

| September 27th, 2009

[Netease] Recently, an animated video called “See Through” (“打,打个大西瓜” direct translation is “Hit, Hit the big watermelon”) has been red hot on the Chinese internet, with shocking images and engaging content, this video has been called the best animated film made in China. The maker spent three years to create this a little over 16 minute long animate.

20090927-see-through-03

VeryCD webmaster gave his review “This is the most awesome animated short film I have ever seen, Chinese production!” We especially contacted the animate maker “Jokelate” (饺克力), “Jokelate” told us about the miserable process of the making of the film, as well as his expectations of the Chinese animation industry.

[pro-player width=’576′ height=’430′ type=’video’ image=’http://www.chinahush.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/20090927-see-through-01.JPG’]http://www.chinahush.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/SeeThrough.flv[/pro-player]

“See Through” is an animate with an anti-war theme. The amazing pictures and scenes are well-made and also very creative. The film has deep meanings, yet is not lacking a sense of humor. The story is about two dominant forces (countries) in order to compete for land started a world war. Two flight fighters from both sides engaged in a dogfight in the air. By accident two flight fighter pilots both landed on a deserted island after their planes both were crashed. Once were sworn enemies, two men now became best friends on this island. The animated film expressed disgust of the war in a very humorous way.

The video was uploaded onto Todu, many Chinese netizens left positive comments praising the film to be excellent, a rare well-made Chinese production animation.

The maker of “See Through” spent 3 and half years to create this 16 minute long cartoon. In these 3 years he almost paid no attention to the outside world. Even his QQ account was created on September of last year. He completed “See Through” at home by himself.

“Jokelate” graduated from West China Medical University, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences. He started to learn CG animation during his junior year in college. After graduating he worked in an advertising company. But after only one year he quit from his job and started working on “See Through”. He stated the reason for quitting is to focus on the animate, because his only dream is to become an original animator.

In these three years “Jokelate’s” life can be described as both miserable and happy at the same time. In the 3 years “Jokelate” had no other incomes, he could only live off his parents’ and his savings in order to make the film. He spoke with exaggeration “In the three and half years, my life was like living on a space station, basically only 3 points, living room, bedroom and restroom.”

“Jokelate” said “My father passed away right when I started working. My mother’s retirement was only 1,000 yuan per month. She and I living together, tried to save as much money as possible. Almost never bought any new clothes, Food, thankfully was always provided by mother, she often went to the supermarket to find deals. We were mainly vegetarians, healthy and economical. Our house in Chengdu was bought by my parents with their life-savings. Mortgage payment of over 700 a month, which was half of our monthly expenses. Traveling is what rich people do, to us was like a fantasy. I had never gone anywhere over 40 kilometers of my house in these three years. Entertainment was still needed, I listened to radio stories and music, watched movies and cartoons, occasionally played some games, they were all the cheapest entertainment. I never played online games, because it cost too much and was too time consuming. I didn’t even have internet at home andhad to go to my friend’s house to go online. This way I reduced the playing time, and reduced negative influences of the current society, also ensured the stability of the computer which I used for making the animate. Also I continued to learn and accumulate knowledge while I was playing.”

Chinese animation industry has often been commented as not original and has no future, to this, while creating “Jokelate Studio” “Jokelate” had his own views. “The biggest weakness of Chinese animation is ‘it doesn’t look good’”.

In his view, profit-oriented investors, massively plagiarizing from original works and not forming industry chain etc. are the external issues animators often complained about. He believes that China animators should find the answers from themselves, rather than complaining about the external issues. The fundamental problem is that Chinese animation itself “does not look good”. “Right now is the era of ‘eyeball economy’, if Chinese animation really look good, then it should definitely be profitable.” “Jokelate” said.

At the same time, he had a good outlook on the animation industry and said “The development of the human civilization up to now, generally people all have the minimum living standards. In the normal circumstances people would not starve to death, when a person is not starving yet does not have work, what do they do? Oh ya, watch TV and animate, play games, and look for such low-cost entertainment.”

20090927-see-through-04Maker: “Jokelate”

1. jackie says:

This is impressive!

2. Wang Er says:

I just got email reply from the author of this CG. His name is 杨宇 (Yang, Yu). He started his Jokelate Studio three months ago with some friends in CG industry and already got projects from advertisement/animation/game CG/movie companies. He said they are very busy in finishing these commercial projects and once they accumulate enough funding and recruit enough talented people, they will start on the track of independent production.

BTW, his email is jokelate[at]live[dot]cn, in case someone wants to interview him or invests in his team. Their website http://www.jokelate.cn is currently unavailable but will be back once they finished their current projects and have time to take care of it.

3. stuart says:

This was very impressive, and thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks for posting. Thanks to Jokelate, too, of course.

4. Krizd says:

Very nice animation!!!

5. Dan B says:

Brilliant work!

6. Sarcastico says:

Me ha gustado muchisimoel video por lo original y lo partcular de la animación….. Pero no me ha gustado mucho que usen simbolos o imagenes que te lleven al pasado, como eso de colocar “Achtung” y los skins de algunos aviones (parecen zeros)…. Pero reitero, que es un gran video de animacion !!!!!

7. bert says:

Barack Obama, Condoleezza Rice and Al Gore? Oh brother!

8. Feudjo says:

I am an african that has written a very nice book. “The story of an african queen at the dawn of colonialism” I believe this book will make a heat if well marketed. iI am looking for a movie house tsincehat will produce the movie
    thanks in advance
    sincerely

9. Naomi Fox says:

I thought this was brilliant. Jokelate Studios should be very successful if you continue to produce such high quality wonderful animation. Best of luck to you. 🙂

10. sukisuki says:

sensable humor is not a simple job but rather a kind of creative, bonebreaking art work. Low quality jokes would easily cause uncertainties, nervious feelings, or even upsetted controversies. But good animation does bring strange joy and celebrated happiness. The kongfu Panda, from the dream stadio of hollywood, greatly fancy me and my son, not exaggerated, we have been cinema about 5 times to express our appreciations. The mentioned anime, hopefully be a good sign of China own cultural exploration.

11. I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this increase.

12. samuel says:

cool, nice to see china animate